Why should you consider using MI
Why should you consider using Motivational Interviewing (MI)? Here are some of the reasons people have expressed:
- MI is evidence based. (MI is included in NREPP)
- MI is useful in many cultures and settings.
- It is relatively easy to learn the basics and get started with MI.
- The approach [spirit and principles] and the skills used in MI are clearly described.
- MI gives you many opportunities to train and improve your counseling skills [skills].
- You can take part of an international network. [MINT]
- MI includes its own quality assurance system with the use of coding [Coding]
- MI reduces the risk of doing harm by avoiding confrontation or unnecessary advice-giving. [traps]
- Using MI could reduce stress at work.
- MI increases the chance of a good relationship without having to compromise on your professional tasks.
- MI helps you be helpful to the big number of clients who have not yet decided if they should make a change.
- MI makes your work more fun.
- MI helps you find out/explore your clients/patients perspective on the situation.
- MI is well suited for integration with other clinical approaches.
- MI could help reduce your no-show and drop-out rates.